Wednesday 19 February 2014

Slowdive - Slowdive [12"]


Like i wrote earlier, this s/t EP by SLOWDIVE arrived for me today, together with Blue Day. Have been looking for it for quite a long time, but now i can finally add it to my Slowdive vinyl collection. I already had a promo edition of this EP, by the way. The title track (so in other words, the track Slowdive by the band Slowdive from their Slowdive EP) is still one of my favourite Slowdive songs ever. But Avalyn 1 and II are also just great.
What i only notice now, is that Avalyn 1 is written with the number 1 and that Avalyn II has two I's, on the back of the sleeve. Rather inconsistent and without doubt, unintentionally. But a funny detail nevertheless. On the center label it's spelled with I and II.
Back in the days (we're talking 1992 here) i was at a Slowdive show, and to cut a long story short i had to leave the venue before the band had even started (at 0:30!) - otherwise i wouldn't be able to get home anymore. A 15 km walk at night through the forests was no option. So i have never actually seen them; one of my biggest music-related traumas ever. But i remember they were selling white shirts with the cover of this EP at their merch stand. Didn't like the shirt at the time, so i didn't even buy something at that show on my way out. I thought i'd get a second chance to see them some day, but then they split up two years later, and my hopes were gone. I would have never guessed it would take 22 years, but now it seems that i get that second chance after all. Amazing.

Label: Creation Records
Cat.nr.: CRE 093T
Year of release: 1990

SIDE A:
01. Slowdive
02. Avalyn 1

SIDE B:
01. Avalyn II

No comments:

Post a Comment